Monday 27 February 2012

Tossers Delight

Many people have called me a tosser in the past, and I am about to confirm it again! I love pancakes and the only way to do them properly is to toss them :0) There's a couple of photos throughout this post but none of me actually tossing I'm afraid.

As above I love pancakes and eat them on a regular basis not just on Shrove Tuesday. I'm a bit of a traditionalist so for me it's all about Lemon and sugar. Mmmmmmmmm.

But I'm now starting to wonder about the etymology of Shrove Tuesday. I know it has religious connotations and is the start of lent but what does Shrove mean? and why is it always on a Tuesday? ...Hangon, I'll go find out. The answer is 'Shrove' means being forgiven, as in your sins. (your is in Italics to imply thoe sins are yours not mine because lets be honest I'm far too awesome to be a sinner) 

Apparently peeps used to go to church and confess their sins and would be 'shriven' or forgiven before the start of Lent. As for it being on a Tuesday, well thats because its the prequel to Ash Wednesday which is 40 days before good friday which makes sense when you think about it. Oh and Ash Wednesday is called that as ash from last years Palm Sunday is what the priests daub on your forehead in a cross confirming your commitment to the big man upstairs. Sorry folks, That is why this blog is called Randomness From My Brain as thats what happens. I start thinking (or writing in this case) about one thing and go off on a completely random tangent :0)

Getting back on track pancake day eggs (courtesy of @YeOldeFarm and his chickens) flour and milk, mix them all up and fry. Making sure you grease the pan well otherwise you wont have enough movement and your pancake will stick to the pan and you'll never be able to toss it. One of my finished results is here. Not gonna lie they were awesome! Theres something simple and satisfying about pancakes and even for a complete novice chef like myself, very easy to make. Plus there's the fun of tossing it. I had 5 this year, not up to my record of 9 in 2010 but that was an exceptional year :0) As I wasn't able to take a picture or video of me tossing one off I decided to try and find you one, so here it is.



Peace and love peeps

No comments:

Post a Comment